Saturday, April 4, 2015

11 Artists I'm Looking Forward to Hearing This Year

It's April, but there's plenty of music left to come out this year. This is a list of ten musicians I'm most looking forward to hearing from this year. The following artists are not listed in any particular order.



Aaradhna
The soul and R&B singer from New Zealand Aaradhna, put out the fantastic album Treble & Reverb back in 2012, but hasn't put out anything since then. Aaradhna is of Samoan and Indian descent and her music influence stems from classic soul artists and 90's R&B artists such as Mary J. Blige and Lauryn Hill. She is scheduled to release an album this year, but no specific date has been confirmed.
Recommended Tracks: I Love You Too, Wake Up (Remix) ft. Common, and Let's Get It On


Nas
One of the best rappers in the game and my personal favorite, Nasir Jones has stated that he's working on new music. I'm not sure if it's going to release this year or not, but I'll definitely be looking out for it.
Recommended Tracks: It Ain't Hard to Tell, I Gave You Power, and Patience

L'Orange
The Mello Music Group producer L'Orange has become one of my favorite producers with his excellent projects such as Old Soul and The Mad Writer. Last year he released his album The Orchid Days and an ep titled After the Flowers. The visuals for "Need You" is my personal favorite music video out of 2014. He is currently slated to drop a collaboration album with emcee Jeremiah Jae on April 21 titled The Night Took Us in Like Family.
Recommended Tracks: The Good Shepherd, Lost Souls (feat. Hassaan Mackey, yU & Kelsey Lu), and Need You (feat. Blu)

Jean Grae
Jean Grae has disappointed me with her last few projects That's Not How You Do That Either: Yet Another Instructional Album for Adults, #5, and That's Not How You Do That: An Instructional Album for Adults, but I'm hoping she'll drop something later this year that's more representative of her skill level shown in Jeanius, which I consider a classic and Bootleg of the Bootleg. These comedic projects with her singing badly, odd instrumentation, and little rapping isn't indicative of her at her best. Here's hoping for the best.
Recommended Tracks:  Away With Me, Love Thirst, and Kill Screen


Nitty Scott MC
The New York rapper has worked with big name artists by the like of Kendrick Lamar, Action Bronson and Rapper Big Pooh. Nitty Scott MC gave me one of my favorite albums of last year in The Art of Chill. The emcee stated that she plans on releasing a visual version of the album. I am pumped for the music videos and for any new music that she has to bring.
Recommended Tracks:  A Beautiful Struggle ft. Soul Khan and Akie Bermi, Luv My Life, and U.F.O. (Unfiltered Offering)

Sammus
My personal favorite nerdcore rapper, Sammus takes her name from Nintendo's headlining lady from the Metroid series. She started with the Fly Nerd EP back in 2010, dropped the Another M ep last year and just recently finished up the Rappers with Arm Cannons Tour with Mega Ran and Storyville last month. Sammus nerdy subject of choice is video games and more specifically the Metroid series, but most of her works are more of the core demographic. I heard a glimpse of her upcoming work when she posted a video on her facebook page of her performing a track called "Perfect Dark" that's supposed to appear on her next project that currently doesn't have a date and I liked what I heard. I would really like to hear her do some music with Clear Soul Forces member, J-Roc who also embraces the geek in his rhymes.
Recommended Tracks: Nu Black, Mae Jemison, and DL


A-F-R-O (All Flows Reach Out)
A-F-R-O came to my attention after R.A. The Rugged Man took him up under his tutelage after A-F-R-O won his Definition of a Rap Flow Contest last year. The artist has been working in the studio with DJ Premier , some hints at Talib Kweli, and a lot more. He also made an appearance on Queen Latifah's talk show. He last put out a tribute ep to J. Dilla titled A-F-R-O Loves Dilla back in January. A-F-R-O is only seventeen, but he's already killing it.
Recommended Tracks: Definition of a Rap Flow Contest Entry,  and Guv'nor

Andreya Triana
Andreya Triana is a blues and soul singer hailing from the UK. She has previously done work with Flying Lotus, but when she showed up on the front page of bandcamp is when she came to my attention. Her voice is beautifully and can appease the soul. She is releasing her third album Giants next month on the fourth and you can listen to the current single from the album Gold on her bandcamp page.
Recommended Tracks: A Town Called Obsolete and Lost Where I Belong

Mavis Staples
Mavis Staples is the longest running artist on this list as she's been making albums since 1969. She's recently been brought to my attention by bandcamp because she's dropping an ep on April 25 titled Your Good Fortune. She is a soul and gospel singer. Her album titled song has me eager to check the other three tracks to release.

Alice Smith
There hasn't been any word on Alice Smith dropping music this year, but this doesn't keep me from hoping. Alice Smith is a soul, jazz, and rock singer. You may have heard her cover of "Fool For You" on the first episode of hit show Empire. Her talents are representative in her last two albums For Lovers, Dreamers & Me, and She. The aforementioned album caught the attention of Prince who did a cover of her song Another Love from the album. Alice Smith has become one of my recent favorite discoveries and here's hoping of some new music in 2015.
Recommended Tracks: Fool For You, Fake Is The New Real, and Be Easy

Blitz The Ambassador
Blitz The Ambassador is my favorite rapper from the motherland. He released the phenomenal album Afropolitan Dreams last year and later had a crazy sale from bandcamp in which he offered a pay what you want price for almost his whole discography. That same offer is still up and while you can get it for free I highly recommend that you pay at least a dollar in support of one of the greatest rappers of the current generation. Blitz has also put himself in great accompany as he has done songs with Nigerian artist Nneka, Les Nubians, and Akua Naru. I recently did a review on his single "Juju Girl" from his upcoming album D I A S P O R A D I C A L. Check that out as well. I'm ready for     D I A S P O R A D I C A L to drop.
Recommended Tracks: Success, Internationally Known feat. Sarkodie, and Emmet (S)Till

No comments:

Post a Comment