Wednesday, April 15, 2015

M: Return of the Astro-Goth


Today I was shared with a friend an article that lead to some discovery of great talents.It was a link to an article about the top South African female emcees in the game right now. The first artist I decided to give a listen to was this artist Yugen Blakrok. I was vastly impressed with "House of Ravens" and decided to give her 2013 release, Return of the Astro-Goth a try. I am highly satisfied with this experience. Yugen has a very smooth sound to her voice that is well complimented by her accent and not to mention her flow is impeccable. The album is set to an electro and boom bap, mix that creates a futuristic element to it. This album is embodied with an Afro-futurist and goth aesthetic. There are lines referencing to celestial bodies, the cosmos, darkness, ravens, and everything goth. Most of Yugen's rhymes on this track are all about just laying down hard lyrics with sprinkles of social commentary throughout. Her wordplay is almost matched with her flow.

There aren't many of them, but featured artists also do a pretty good job and ShortySkilz is my favorite out the bunch with his raw sounding voice synchronized flow. To give closure to this review, this an astounding album and a recommend to any fan of classic boom bap rap.
 

8.5/10

Recommended Tracks: House of Ravens, Vespertine 13, and Medusa Complex

It's also funny. After I finished writing this I found out that she was on a song with Poetic Death last year titled Road to Kemmet. I have the album, but I never realized she was on it. That might be because either she didn't impress me on the track or I didn't listen to her part. I'm leaning towards the last because that track is almost nine and a half minutes long.

No comments:

Post a Comment