Tuesday, April 21, 2015

M: The Night Took Us in Like Family

Today, jazz-hop producer L'Orange brings his collaboration project with rapper Jeremiah Jae. The Night Took Us in Like Family is L'Orange's second collaboration album with the former being The City Under the City that he did with Stik Figa. This album's production is one of L'Orange's best. He creates harmonies and melodies that appease the soul. Following After the Flowers and The Orchid Days from last year, this one goes back to the sounds of film noir that were present in Old Soul and The Mad Writer. How these productions weave into one another feels like you're listening to a story played out, however I do not feel that when it comes to the lyrics by Jeremiah Jae.

Jeremiah Jae's lyrical style fits with L'Orange's, but his execution seems to fall short. He isn't a bad rapper, but he doesn't stick out or help bring out the full potential of the production. His flow is serviceable to the beats, has no real energy to his voice, and his lyrics leave more to be desired. He sounds like a low tier Blu. When I was listening to it, I felt that he was getting in the way of the instrumentals and sometimes tuned him out. I would rather be listening to the instrumentals, but I have to say that he did his best in "Underworld". The featured emcees Homeboy Sandman and Gift of Gab did a better job. I do find him however a bit more listenable than Stik Figa who I found boring and unpleasant. If this was a pure beat tape it would get a high score from me, but considering Jeremiah Jae's inclusion I have to judge it on a whole, so all around I find it just serviceable.

6.5/10

Recommended Tracks: Ignore the Man to Your Right (feat. Homeboy Sandman), Underworld, & Starry Eyed Balcony Walkers

No comments:

Post a Comment