Saturday, January 30, 2016

My Most Anticipated Games of 2016



Street Fighter V
Street Fighter IV was a good experience for me as it was the game that got me into the competitive gaming scene. I had a lot of fun playing online and entering tournaments while meeting new people and with Street Fighter V coming out next month it's bringing those memories back and I can hope that I return to the competitive scene. Street Fighter IV frustrated me with some of its links and I never found learning Fierce Feint Fierce with C. Viper any fun, but with the removal of 1 frame links and an entirely new system, it seems like this game will be easier to transition into. The cast looks decent, but it could use a Third Strike or IV character, fortunately I believe we'll be getting both in the first batch of DLC.


Mirror's Edge Catalyst
I've wanted a sequel for this game since I beat the original years ago. DICE's Mirror Edge was a unique game, tackling the platformer genre in a first-person perspective. It felt like a first-person Prince of Persia, but without the time mechanics and with guns. The game is finally getting a sequel, well sort of. Mirror's Edge Catalyst will be a reboot of the first game's story while expanding on the gameplay. From a gameplay perspective this is basically a sequel and I never cared about the mundane presentation of the story in the original game anyhow. The trailer and presentation at E3 last year showed some improvements to the roll performed after making large jumps and disarming armed enemies seems much easier. My number one complaint with the original was the gunplay and DICE has abandoned in favor of a smoother experience.


Final Fantasy XV
I'm a major Final Fantasy fan. Final Fantasy is the cause of my love for gaming. When Final Fantasy XIII and Versus XIII were revealed in 2006 I was ecstatic, but I never saw one of these being in production for so long. Final Fantasy Versus XIII went on for years with little information regarding the game. Many fans, myself included grew tired with the announcements for dropping announcements that ultimately ended up with not useful information. It wasn't until about a year and some change ago when Square Enix revealed that Final Fantasy Versus XIII would be renamed to Final Fantasy XV making it a entry in the mainline series.
Nomura dropped off as director for the game and Tabata replaced him, but since the title change information for the game has been coming steadily. We got a demo early last year and Active Time Reports. The game finally seems to be coming out now. With the recent information that the game can now be completed from beginning to end, it's safe to assume that this game can reach its intended 2016 release date and I'll be looking forward to experiencing Noctic's journey.


Horizon: Zero Dawn
This was the standout game at E3 2015 for me. A game that takes place in a post apocalyptic future where robotic wildlife roam the world.  Guerilla Games is developing this game and it will be their first rpg as they usually make the Killzone games. The combat will be action-focused with some stealth and shooter elements thrown in. The take down of the the Thunder Jaw (Pictured above) was one of the most intense moments at last year's E3. It's my most anticipated original IP for this year and I hope it can deliver.

That's my list for 2016. Let me know your anticipated games in the comments below.


No comments:

Post a Comment