Tuesday, February 9, 2016

M: "Formation (Dirty)"




 "Formation"
I'd like to get this out of the way, I don't like Beyonce's music in general, but I have to give it to girl for "Formation". Upon a first listen I didn't like the song all that much. The instrumental feels disjointed without any kind of melody that makes it catchy or memorable, the flow of Beyonce's vocals didn't seem to flow properly to me, and not to mention that I generally don't find Beyonce's voice strong. A second listen to my surprise warmed up to me a bit, but I still can't say I like it, but more that I tolerate it and appreciate the message in it. This song is an affirmation of Beyonce's southern roots.

My Daddy Alabama, Mama Louisiana

These lines hearken to her roots and black Americans in general as given the history of this nation a vast majority of black Americans have ancestry in the south and her stating her Texas roots is staying in touch with where she came from regardless if she left it.



I like my baby hair, with baby hair and afros

On the social sphere Beyonce has been criticized far too much and by her own people at that, for not doing her baby's hair and keeping it "nappy". These lyrics shows she has affirmation in natural black hair and is non-caring of the naysayers who are telling her how to take care of her child. 

I like my negro nose and Jackson Five nostrils

Honestly at first, this line confused the hell out of me until I saw a post from a fellow writer by the name sitta pulsilla and I'll his evaluation of it rather than mine as I can't see myself saying it better.

"There has literally never been a more full-throated, stalwart, stark as hell positive affirmation of Blackness in mainstream, popular media since the original Black Is Beautiful movement in the 60′s. Maybe not since the Harlem Renaissance? I predict In a few years, people will be inverting their contours and getting plastic surgery to achieve the coveted Jackson Five nostril. Only by then they’ll rename it something more palatable to the mainstream (Read: white people)."

I'd like to add to that, that I can also see this a dig to several members of the Jackson family who got plastic surgery on their noses and being comfortable with yourself and your black features.

Oh, and Red Lobster is the joint for black people.


As for the music video, the imagery is fantastic! I love antebellum south wardrobe on her and the other black actors. It's like reclaiming and owning the oppression that set us back, plus Beyonce just looked fly as hell in that dress with the braids. It's Gothic and almost horror-like. Those particular shots actually give me inspiration for something I'm planning to write. There are a few clips that looked like they were filmed on an 80's hand cam that I thought was a nice touch too and the choreography was decent. Along with the other imagery we first see her laying on top of a police car in a flooded New Orleans which harks back to the tragedy of Hurricane Katrina and also symbolism of how the police have been drowning the lives of black people for decades and black people aiming to rise above it. The video also is a promotion for the natural hair movement with nearly every black woman in this video rocking afros or braids. Another powerful piece is the clip of the young black boy wearing a hoodie dancing in front of the police and making their hands rise. An obvious commentary on recent police brutalities. A shot right after tells it plainly in graffiti, "Stop Shooting Us".

While I may not like the song Beyonce's "Formation" I approve of the message it presents and wholeheartedly love the music video and all it conveys.

Song 4/10

Video 9.5/10


No comments:

Post a Comment