Friday, January 15, 2016

My Favorite Playthroughs of 2015


Last year I didn't get to play any new games so my entire plays of the year were of games from one or more generations ago. There was a lot of love to be found, some okay games, one I've still yet to beat, and a few bad ones that I didn't spend much time with. I spent some time on some games I've played and completed in the past, but I limiting this to games that I have beaten for the first time this year.




10. Alice Mare
Platform: PC Genre: Adventure Release Date: ????
Recommended to me by a Facebook friend I downloaded this free game onto my piece and found it an amusing experience. Alice Mare is an adventure game made in Wolf RPG Editor.  The game pits the player in the role of Allen, a boy enrolled in a boarding school and his world grows dark and twisted when he stumbles upon a mysterious closet. The game is relatively short, averaging out to about three hours so it's perfect for those who want to finish a game, but don't have much time to play. For those looking for more the game has some replay value as the game features multiple endings. As being an adventure game, the primary focus is on the story and while I don't find it bad, I don't find good either. It floats somewhere in the middle. It appears to be heavily inspired by Alice in Wonderland with certain characters and subject matter. The game has a strong sense of atmosphere as it's garbed in a Gothic Lolita resplendence. The game can be eerie at times, but never genuinely scary. I never quite grasped what was happening throughout the tale, but the ending I got on my first playthrough has me interested in a second run.


9. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Platform: SNES (Super Nintendo) Genre: Action-Adventure Release Date: 1991

The famed Legend of Zelda, A Link to the Past. I was familiar with this game in my childhood, but I never had the opportunity to play it until last year. With this being one of the most highly regarded games in the series only behind Ocarina of Time, I new it came with expectations, but I've always kept my expectations in check. Overall, I ended thinking the game was just okay. I liked that the game provided me with more challenge than Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, but I found the level design underwhelming and the world map obtuse. The world map wasn't bad, it was just certain points in the game the direction or tasks you needed to take to get to the next dungeon weren't clear and mostly unaddressed. I liked some of the boss encounters and that you could tackle some of the dungeons in whatever you wanted, but the lack of towns and some design choices didn't sit well with me. Overall a decent game and I'll probably give it one more playthrough.


8. Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Platform: SNES (Super Nintendo) Genre: Shoot 'Em Up Release Date: 1993

The last game I was late to playing in 2015, it left quite an impression on me. I had no idea what to expect going in, but what I found I enjoyed and left an impression on me that I won't ever forget. The game's quirky depiction of horror and its faced pace and skill intensive combat left me exhausted, but satisfied. This game featuring tributes to horror characters from the 90s all the way down to the 50s is a whopping 50 levels long. All those levels aren't required to beat the game, 45 are, but I couldn't make it past 32 due the rampant enemies that spawn as the game goes on. I didn't get to try the multiplayer as I had no one to play with, but I can imagine it being tons of fun, while also being frustrating. I'm not sure if I'll ever beat the game, but I look forward to correcting that.


7. Super Metroid
Platform: SNES (Super Nintendo) Genre: Action-Platformer Release Date: 1994 
This was my first experience with the popular series last year and it left an impression. Its floaty movements felt strange to me at first, but I got used to them and was able to conquer this game. It has an atmosphere of loneliness and dread which is something I only get in Survival Horror. The level design I found satisfying, though at times a little confusing and the boss encounters were sufficient. Overall, a well designed game and I look forward to playing another entry in the franchise.
 

6. Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
Platform: Nintendo DS Genre: Action-RPG Release Date: 2008 
With the Bloodstained Kickstarter Campaign in 2015, I was interested in playing my first Castlevania and this was my choice for an entry point. Order of Ecclesia combines an action-oriented combat system with rpg elements and some platforming thrown in. The combat feels really rewarding once you master it and the game has some great boss encounters and music, but the only fault in this game is the rare item drop rate. Rare drops are supposed to be infrequent, but they are overly so in this game. You could spend hours grinding just to get one item you need to fulfill a quest. It also makes it tedious to level up certain summoning glyphs. It's a big flaw that hinders what is otherwise a great game. I'm likely to play this again one day, but I might try a hack that changes the rare drop rate or just ignore most of the side quests and not bother to level up certain skills.
 

5. Pokemon Black 2 / Blaze Black 2
Platform: Nintendo DS Genre: RPG Release Date: 2012
2015 could've been said to be the year of Pokemon for me as I probably spent the most time playing Pokemon than any other game. Pokemon Black 2, more specifically Blaze Black 2 was the second Pokemon playthrough of the year for me. Pokemon Black 2 is an excellent entry in the series. The combat is blazing fast and there's plenty to do in the game.  You have the Battle Subway, The Pokemon World Tournament and a slew of terrain to explore after you defeat the Elite Four. This Blaze Black hack adds in additional challenge, pokemon variety and early access to certain items. I found that the game was too difficult at times that it deterred my enjoyment, but not enough to hurt my overall experience.  The downside of the post content is that it doesn't really have a particular battle that feels like the end. The Blaze hack adds in the two protagonists from Black which helps, but it didn't feel like there was any build up to it. Overall, this is a great game.


4. Pokemon Soul Silver / Storm Silver 
Platform: Nintendo DS Genre: RPG Release Date: 2009
There's not much else I can say after talking about Black 2, but I found that Soul Silver and the hack Storm Silver resonated with me more because I found the world map and post content designed better and the music was more memorable for me, at least the Game Boy version that you can access in the post game of Soul Silver and immediately in Storm Silver. For hack comparisons I think Black 2 was a little bit better. It felt a bit more progressive while I felt to hit a wall immediately in Storm Silver, but both of them I feel are a bit too difficult. I have yet to tackle Kanto yet in Storm Silver, but from the info I have it sounds like there will be quite a few additions to look forward to from the normal version.
 

3. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
Platform: SNES (Super Nintendo) Genre: Platformer Release Date: 1995
Rented this back in the 90's, but could never beat it, but last year I booted this up and managed to beat it. This game was just as hard as I remembered and better than I remembered. This game is among the pinnacle of game design, from great controls to level design, and boss encounters this game a testament of excellent design. There is plenty variety offered in the levels and the game tests your ability to utilize all the mechanics. The graphics still hold up and David Wise composed a few stellar tracks that are among the best in gaming. This game was not only one of the best games I played last year, but one of the best games I played in my lifetime.
 

2. Super Mario 3D World
Platform: Wii U Genre: Platformer Release Date: 2013
My first playthrough of the year. This was a graduation gift given to me in 2014 and became my first and only experience with the Wii U so far, but what an introduction it was. Super Mario 3D World is among the best of 3D platformers. With cleverly designed levels and power-ups that actually make you feel powerful, Super Mario 3D World will be a game not forgotten. It brings back multiple playable characters like Super Mario Bros. 2 and a world map like Super Mario Bros. 3 and World. Most of the characters feel unique in their own with the exception of the blue Toad, but the game gives you incentive to try other characters out with certain switches that can only be activated with a certain character. The game provides some great challenge as the game progresses, especially in the post game. The only downsides I find is that would've liked worlds to be a bit more thematic and most of the music was forgettable to me.


1. Earthbound (Mother 2) 
Platform: SNES (Super Nintendo) Genre: RPG Release Date: 1994 
One of the games I always wanted to play from my childhood and I finally got the chance in 2015. Earthbound not like many others. It has a distinctive sense of personality with its strange and unique humor, American setting, and varied soundtrack. The world of Earthbound is a treat to explore and the journey from beginning to end is filled with interesting encounters. The gameplay is simplistic for the JRPG genre, but it has a rolling HP bar that sets it apart from others. The game is also quite challenging the beginning segment of the game will get you a game over or two and the game constantly keeps you on your toes, but never feels unfair. I loved the relationship between the child cast and this game has some of my favorite monster designs and item names out there. The only downside I say is that the game is devoid of any sidequests and there's no hint for acquiring Poo's ultimate weapons which I hear are tedious to acquire due to a rare drop rate, but other than that this is a spectacular game and it ranks among my top ten of all time.



 


No comments:

Post a Comment