Tuesday, June 2, 2015

What I Hope to See at E3 2015


E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo) is approaching and while my interest has dwindled this year, there are still some things I would show interest in if they were to appear at this year's E3 running from June 16 to the 18th.


Mirror's Edge 2
This came to me as a surprise when it was revealed at last year's E3. Something I thought was going to be a standalone game got the sequel it deserved. The first Mirror's Edge was unique as it is one of the few first person platformers in the industry, it was certainly the first one I had played. The game had a simplistic, but pleasing art style composed of basic geometric shapes and bright colors. On the gameplay end it was like playing a Prince of Persia in a modern setting, but with some shooter segments instead of hack and slash combat and puzzles. The game's platforming felt refreshing, but it also could've used some tweaking in level design and the shooting mechanics integrated needed to be refined. We got a glimpse of those segments coming back with the trailer last year, but we didn't get any full length gameplay shown and this year would be a good year to show off how Mirror's Edge 2 can outdo the original.


Beyond Good & Evil 2
Beyond Good & Evil ended on a cliffhanger so naturally players expected a sequel to the game. Ubisoft announced the game back in 2010, but there hasn't been any more info on the game since then except for the company saying that the game is still coming. Beyond Good & Evil was an overlooked action-adventure game in the 6th generation with a strange, but familiar artstyle, a political storyline with some quirky characters, and some serviceable gameplay. I'm eager to see where this game goes in terms of story and how it could improve some of the rough gameplay in the original. This would be an unexpected surprise at this E3.

A new fighting game IP not from Netherealm, Arc Systems, Capcom, or Namco Bandai
I love some fighting games, but just one thing that irks me a bit is that there isn't much diversity when it comes to developers in the genre. There are a ton of fighting games out there, but I'm more specifically talking about what ends up on consoles here in the states. I'm also or at least was a competitive fighting game player and from my experience with following the genre and competing in it, indie fighting games are hardly played. Games like Skullgirls and Divekick gained some initial popularity, but had soon dwindled. I would like to see another large company tackle the genre and bring something that could be the new Tekken, Street Fighter, or Dead or Alive in terms of popularity.


Project Treasure
Yesterday Nintendo held a micro direct in which they showed off a few games and made some new amiibo announcements. In that direct they finally showed off footage of the new Project Treasure currently in development by Namco Bandai. From the short footage shown the game looks like a 3D team based action game. I'm all for new IPs and I enjoyed the little footage I saw so I'm eager to see more of this Wii U game at this E3.


Star Fox Wii U
I have not played a Star Fox game myself, but when it was announced that Miyamoto is bringing back this franchise that's been absent for a while, I was intrigued. I'm not completely oblivious on Star Fox though. I used to watch my older brother and one of my neighbors play the original back when I was a child and this new game could possibly become my first to this type of game.


The Legend of Zelda Wii U
There's not a whole lot I can say about this except that it's a new Zelda and it's going to have the largest map to date.


A North American Release Date for Xenoblade Chronicles X
Xenoblade Chronicles X is already available in Japan, but there is still no word on the North American release. This vast JRPG from Monolith Soft features action combat, mechs, and MMORPG styled quests and exploration. I haven't played any modern rpgs in a while, so I'll be more than eager to find out when this game will be available for purchase on my side of the world.

A new JRPG for home consoles
I haven't had much interest in JRPGs in the last generation. There were a few that caught my attention such as Lost Odyssey, The Last Story, Blue Dragon, and Dragon's Crown, but that is significantly less than the amount that peaked my interests in generations prior. It appeared that the JRPG genre was steering towards the handheld market last generation and for this one so far we only have Xenoblade Chronicles X, Persona 5, and Bravely Second announced. That's a good start, but I'd like to see more of these and preferably a western studio develop one for the home consoles like Ubisoft did with Child of Light, but I'd like a retail release. JRPGs are my favorite genre so the more of them I can get the better and if a western studio could add some different flavor to it then all the better. That would make my E3 just a little bit better.


Cyberpunk 2077
This sci-fi game was announced back in 2012 and we were given a gorgeous cgi trailer. While cgi trailers showing no gameplay usually bothers me, especially at E3 conferences, this peaked my interest enough to have me waiting for more info and gameplay. What we know so far is that is based on a pen and paper RPG called Cyberpunk 2020, so this will likely be a RPG and that the game will be released "When it's ready". This game also has a black man by the name of Mike Pondsmith who is the creator of the source material as co-creator which is notably rare to see in the industry. Unfortunately, there hasn't been much shown since 2012. This game is under the development by Witcher 3 Studio CD Projekt RED and now since The Witcher 3 is released, this game will likely start to show surface again in gaming news and maybe even make an appearance at this E3.

No comments:

Post a Comment