Monday, May 18, 2015

M: El Mismo (The Same)


Colombian reggaeton group ChocQuibTown dropped their latest album today titled El Mismo (The Same in English) and I have to say that it is great. El Mismo is the group's fifth album to date and it brings the flavor and energy that the group is known for. The titled track is set to an upbeat instrumental and the trio does a decent job when it comes to flows and energy. It's serviceable and gives you an understanding of their style, but the proceeding tracks after the original version of "Cuando Te Veo" are the exceptional pieces of this project. The album has a varied range in terms of tone and sound. You have tracks like "El Mismo" and "Una Raza Llamada Sabor" that are the more upbeat salsa type songs while you also have the serene tracks like "Cuando Te Veo" and "Nuqui". "Salsa & Choque ft. Ñejo" is my personal favorite of the dance tracks.

I have to also point out that the production is exceptional on this album. Slow Miguel did a superb job on constructing this. The tunes are fine salsa and reggaeton beats. The guitars and xylophones featured throughout are my favorite instruments. The saxaphone on "Nuqui" was also a nice touch to add to the placid feeling the song evokes.

As far as the rapping goes, I feel that it is done rather well. Carlos has the best flow out of the group, Gloria's rhymes are a nice blend from her vocals, and Miguel has the best energy. I cannot comment on their lyrics as they rhyme in Spanish and not being well versed in it. I know Spanish well enough, but enough to dissect it from music, especially something as fast moving as rap. If I could find lyrics for this album I'll dissect them then.

This album also features four renditions of their leading single "Cuando Te Veo". All of them are pretty good and apply a different genre to each version. A couple of the mixes actually sound better than the original.  I have to say I probably like the Pop version the most. Overall, this album is fantastic and I have to say their best album to date. This is a high recommend.

9/10

Recommended Tracks: Cuando Te Veo (Pop Version), Salsa & Choque ft. Ñejo, & Nuqui

No comments:

Post a Comment