Thursday, July 16, 2015

M: The Wanderer


"The Wanderer" is the first single off of L'Orange and Kool Keith's collaboration album Time? Astonishing!. This video directed by Jon Webb is a bit of a bizarre one. It follows a man in a silver outfit and mask with a traffic vest around a city. He goes through various streets, a park, and a tunnel. I've only viewed this video a couple of times and with these first two impressions it just seems kind of random. I don't see a correlation to the lyrics or any story trying to be told by just the visuals. It is well shot however. The lighting is perfect and the transitional shots are steady. The editing also isn't choppy and flows together fine. There's just not much for me to say within context of the video itself.

The song is a strong one. L'Orange and Kool Keith make for a fine duo. L'Orange's solemn jazzy production goes with Kool Keith's calm, yet otherworldly flow. The veteran emcee Kool Keith has always had lyrics you really had to pay attention to as his subjects are very different from the majority of rappers in the game. In this melodic poem I am not sure exactly what Keith is trying to say. On the surface it appears to be a lot of random words thrown together with a bit of scientific imagery, but as with Kool Keith things aren't exactly as they appear. Despite not knowing exactly what he's saying his delivery is so good that it assuages that concern. This will be a track that I will have to listen to a lot to really get the message behind.

Overall this video is hard for me to judge. I don't find it great, nor bad, and I can't say it's mediocre. It's just weird and I'll leave it at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment