Friday, July 24, 2015

M: No Sleeep (Feat. J. Cole)


Janet Jackson dropped the visuals to her song "No Sleeep" today. This is the first single coming to Janet's album this year which the title of hasn't been revealed yet and the release date is still non-specifically this fall. The music video is pleasant. It does its job of catching my attention, but not much else. The lighting is on point as it should be and I like the projected images of Janet from her childhood on the walls. There doesn't appear to be anything under the surface in this video. That's not a negative towards it, but I can't quite express it, but it just didn't instill much emotion in me of any kind.

The song itself I'm still trying to decide if I like it or if it's just okay. It's more in the style of her older work, but it isn't as catchy or memorable like a lot of her other singles such as "Got Til It's Gone", "That's the Way Love Goes", or "Go Deep". The chorus and the verses are okay and J. Cole in this version doesn't really add anything to me. The production also feels a bit bare bones to me. It honestly sounds like a song an album that's not a single and one of those that you don't necessarily skip, but don't pay much attention to it either when it's on. It's an okay video and song.


No comments:

Post a Comment