Friday, March 25, 2016

M: Alwasta


If you've been reading this blog, then you know that I massively enjoyed Oddisee's The Good Fight from last year. It made it into my top ten albums of 2015 and so when I saw that he released a new EP, I downloaded it with haste. The title of this new free to download EP is Alwasta, which is an Arabic term meaning "The Plug". This isn't just a random choice of a word, Oddisee actually has Sudanese roots. I'm not exactly sure if there were any lines throughout this seven track EP that divulged in this, but let's get into the review.

I've only listened to this EP twice so far and may feel differently about it later, but as of right now I find it okay. His production on the project is fine, but most of it is not memorable for me. The beats use similar instruments that can be found on The Good Fight or March on Washington, but unlike those they don't aspire any particular feelings for me, but they don't bring down the songs they're on while they also don't enhance them and this is true for six of the tracks. "No Reservations" I find to be an exceptionally produced track with that induces mellow vibes.

On the lyrical front, I may need another listen to fully comprehend the lyrics, but as of right now most of the lines didn't stand out to me, with the exception of these from Slow Groove:

I've been contemplating the use of drugs. My favorite artist do it, they all influenced us.
I ain't talking Future, but rather older names. Talking Hendrix, talking Davis, talking Marvin Gaye.
They were kings, but the coke and they became a slave. Know I got it in me, don't pass me a shot of whiskey.

 The tempo here caught my attention and had me listening hard to every word that came after. It's commendable that he revealed his temptation to drug use, but went against it when he realized what it did to these artists.

As for the rest of the song and the other six tracks, I felt the delivery was decent, but none of the flows really made me go whoa, or soothed me. None of the hooks were particularly catchy. All in all with first impressions I think the album is okay. I am eager to hear his follow up album in May of this year.

6/10


No comments:

Post a Comment