Saturday, November 28, 2015

M: But U Caint Use My Phone


Erykah Badu's awaited mixtape But U Caint Use My Phone has released today and as Erykah Badu being my favorite vocalist, this was highly anticipated for me. This eleven track project is radically different from Badu's albums. While it does have some of that Erykah Badu strangeness to it, it also seems to be appealing more to the fans of modern r&b and rap. Majority of the beats tend to have that generic drum and slight EDM sound to it that is overly present in the mainstream today. I did quite enjoy the "Hotline Bing" remix Erykah Badu released before the mixtape dropped, but the second half the deviated from the original beat and was more tranquil is the part that really hooked me in. Unfortunately, the rest of this mixtape did not appeal to me. On my first listen I had strong adversity to it, but I've only come to tolerate it in my following listening sessions.

I find that auto-tune has few uses, but I never preferred it on artists who have strong vocals and thus the presence of it on "Phone Down" is unappealing. I find it more tolerable in "Mr. Telephone Man", but I particularly don't listen to Erykah Badu for it. I also don't find anything interesting in the lyrics of any of these songs, but that's not a major knock to it as in general Erykah Badu doesn't have thought provoking lyrics. Also, a cover of one of Usher's worst singles is baffling decision to me. The featured artists on the mixtape also don't provide anything to the experience. Drake's flow and lyricism is as mundane as usual and sadly I feel the same in regards to Andre 3000's performance in "Hello". I'm not sure if that is Andre singing the hook of that track, but the vocals are off key and off putting. I really wanted to like But U Caint Use My Phone, but unfortunately the result leaves a lot to be desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment